Weather

Jazz Bassist Steve Kirby Hit with Nasty Sexual Assault Charges...


Jazz Bassist Prof. Steve Kirby hit with long list of horrid Sexual Assault complaints at U of M (University of Manitoba) jazz program...

A group of current and former students have come forward and made horrific sexual allegations of intense sexual misconduct against Jazz Bassist Steve Kirby in February.

"I couldn't stand to be in that university for one more minute."

A former University of Manitoba jazz student is angry with the way the university handled an internal investigation into Prof. Steve Kirby's conduct, and says it didn't do enough to create a safe environment for female students.

"I think it would have been inconvenient for the University of Manitoba to investigate it unless they really had to. The system was set up in such a way that Steve Kirby had a lot of power, and virtually no accountability," the former student said.

News and Media are protecting her identity because of the nature of the allegations.

A long list of female students have now alleged sexual misconduct against former U of Manitoba jazz prof Steve Kirby.

The group of current and former students making allegations of sexual misconduct against Kirby started in February and is growing larger and larger week by week. 

An internal investigation report obtained by Winnipeg, "CBC News" concluded her allegations of lewd comments and unwanted touching, hugging and kissing had merit and constituted sexual harassment.

"It was a violation of trust, frankly," the student said. "It's a lack of respect for me as a human being. It's an unacceptable form of contact between a teacher and student."

The university said Kirby retired from the University of Manitoba in late June, after being on paid leave for six months. He had been at the U of M since 2003 and was well known as a jazz bass player.

Local media has not been able to reach Steve Kirby for comment.

The former student had one credit remaining to complete her degree but said that because of the ongoing sexual harassment, and sexual nature of interactions at the U of M campus, she couldn't bring herself to go back and complete the music program.

"I couldn't stand to be in that university for one more minute," she said. "I was crying before my lessons. I was angry. I felt depressed all through my final year, especially. Which is when I was in greatest contact with Steve. It was an extremely vulnerable time for me."

KIRBY ADVANCED QUICKLY:
The sexual harassment began immediately in her first year of the U of M music program, she said, when she was performing at a local restaurant with the school ensemble.

"Steve said, 'I love the way you move on stage, I love to watch you on stage.' And that sort of raised the first red flag for me," she said.

"The teacher-student relationship is pretty privileged, especially in the jazz faculty. It's a small faculty."

"It was different with Steve. I would enter into his office for private lessons, and he would close a soundproof door. The curtains were closed. He would be saying these comments to me. It was an extremely uncomfortable experience," she said.

"I would cry before our lessons. I would cry the night before. I was afraid. I was angry that I had to endure this kind of thing. I would define it as being a hostile environment."

Allegations ruled as having merit...
The university's internal investigation report concluded each of her allegations had merit.

In one instance, the report noted Kirby was alleged to have said to the student,
"Every man has a primal urge to 'f--k anything that moves,' men are animalistic and every man has to battle to keep that under control."

He then referenced how he has to "keep his urge repressed" because he is a wolf, and that he "always gets what he wants."

Kirby responded "that he did talk about male sexual energy as being a catalyst for creativity using the wolf analogy and submits that there is no sexual charge to the conversation," the report said.

Kirby responded that, "These comments are earthy but not intended as a sexual come-on; it is a reference point for channeling creative energy."

1 comments:

  1. Dave says:

    Fuck this guy. Stupid piece of shit asshole. Monsters like this only understand one thing, a knife to the fucking throat.

Leave a Reply

Winnipeg Report on YouTube

Ad